Discover Leduc Region welcomes our newest municipal partners
Discover Leduc Region is thrilled to now feature the Town of Calmar and the Town of Devon! Including our founding partners, the City of Leduc and Leduc County, Discover Leduc Region’s assets now span across 4 different municipalities and over 2,600 sq. km. To showcase the best experiences and activities that Calmar and Devon have to offer, we’ve made new additions to the website – take a look around to find your new favorite spots!
Keep reading to learn more about what you can discover by visiting these two gems…
Located 15 min west of Leduc, the Town of Calmar is a quaint rural community surrounded by beautiful, natural green space. With a population of approximately 2,300 people, residents enjoy the peace and quiet of small-town living while also being just a short drive away from big city amenities. Don’t let the size of the size of the town fool you though, because Calmar has an awesome specialty shopping scene and excellent dining options, along with beautiful parks and walking trails. Here’s just a few of our favorite spots:
- Loganberry’s Antiques & Curiosities: Antique shoppers from all over the province visit Loganberry’s to discover new treasures and goodies. With a diverse and ever-changing selection of… basically everything, locals and visitors alike spend hours exploring the the store. Factor in the excellent service provided by knowledgeable, friendly staff, and Loganberry’s provides a specialty shopping experience you don’t want to miss out on!
- Woodland & Zolner Park: These two beautiful green spaces offer recreational experiences for all ages – and are located just across the road from one another. Sports enthusiasts will love the ball diamonds in Zolner Park and the outdoor rink in Woodland Park, while kids will love playing on the Zolner Park Playground. Local skateboarders call the skate park in Woodland Park home, and families are often found enjoying the natural beauty of both spots.
- Zyp Art Gallery: Opening in the picturesque destination that is the Calmar Medical Building, Zyp Art Gallery is one of Calmar’s newest and brightest attractions. Named in honor of local philanthropists, Hank & Tillie Zyp, the gallery pays tribute to their memory by creating socially-focused exhibitions, supporting local artists, and giving back to the community through art education. Zyp Art Gallery is currently displaying the works of award-winning artists Alex Janvier & Cheyenne Kean-Lemery as in-person exhibitions, and is also offering an online exhibition celebrating this year’s Leduc Art Club Aspiring Young Artists Award Winners.
- Versus Cafe & Catering Co: Right next to the Zyp Art Gallery inside the Calmar Medical Building is one of the best coffee and lunch spots in the region – Versus Cafe & Catering Co. This beautifully cozy cafe is known for their delicious homemade soups and sandwiches, served by friendly staff. You won’t be able to resist their tasty desserts either, and can look forward to catching up with other patrons and locals over a fresh cup of (locally roasted) coffee.
Just 20 min northwest of Leduc, is the Town of Devon, a scenic community located on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River. Well-known throughout the province for breathtaking views of the river valley, in addition to some of the best hiking trails & campgrounds in the area, Devon is a nature lover’s dream. This vibrant community of over 6,600 people welcomes visitors with open arms, and keeps them coming back for more by offering attractions and experiences for all ages and interests. Some of our favorites include:
- University of Alberta Botanic Gardens: Located just 6 km north of Devon is the largest botanical garden in Alberta! Ecological reserves, floral displays, and beautiful gardens draw in tourists from all over, making this an extremely popular spot for anything from casual visits to weddings and special events. The Twilight Picnic Experience currently being offered has been a massive hit, proposing (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink) a rare opportunity for you and your special someone to experience the garden in the evening hours.
- Urban Whyte: This beautifully designed specialty retail shop is a true destination shopping experience in Devon. As a home decor and gift store and craft workshop rolled into one, Urban Whyte is home to over 40 very talented artisans, and showcases their creations with a constantly evolving inventory. They also host DIY workshops year-round in a chic space that can comfortably fit up to 20 students. Helpful staff are available and happy to assist you with your creative projects, allowing you to leave with a unique piece of decor you will be proud to display in your home, or give as a gift!
- Devon River Valley Trails: No trip to Devon is complete without experiencing their river valley trails. With 10 km of multi-use paved trails, and countless more unpaved, casual strollers and serious bikers and hikers alike are able to stretch their legs and enjoy views of the river valley. Upgrades are underway on the trails that connect Voyageur Park to the Devon Lions Campground as part of the River Valley Alliance Capital Project. This continuous park and trail system will eventually connect Devon to Parkland County (north), Leduc County (south), and stretch all the way to Fort Saskatchewan (east).
- Frickin’ Delights Donuts: This hidden gem is a small-town, old-fashioned doughnut shop that makes fresh, handmade vegan doughnuts daily. You’ll be amazed at the creative flavors featured on a menu that rotates every week – some past favorites include Lemon Coconut, Salted Caramel, Maple French Toast, and Bananas Foster. This is the perfect place to stop for a tasty treat after a busy day exploring Devon, but be warned, limiting yourself to one doughnut is nearly impossible.
With so many incredible spots to discover in these two vibrant communities, consider making a stop in Calmar and Devon on your next adventure in the Leduc Region. Our website is here to help you plan your next trip, allowing you to #DiscoverLeducRegion to the fullest.